What We Do
The Better Housing Better Health (BHBH) service has been commissioned by Local Authorities across Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire to help keep residents warm over winter and reduce their energy bills. In a preventative approach to health and wellbeing the free to use helpline provides residents with a single point of contact for services, advice and grants in order to help improve the energy efficiency of their property. Residents who call the helpline can have their needs assessed over the phone and, where eligible, can be referred for:
- Free impartial advice
- Energy bill discounts
- Grants and funding for energy efficiency measures such as insulation or new heating systems
- Access to other support services
We can also make referrals for a free LEAP Home Energy Visit. A qualified energy efficiency advisor will visit your home and can:
- fit a variety of free energy saving measures in your home – such as draught-proofing, low energy LED lightbulbs, radiator panels and shower savers. These energy efficiency measures save the average household £30 a year on their energy bills.
- give you energy efficiency hints and tips and, if you have a heating controller, advice on how to set it to save energy.
- check if you are on the cheapest energy tariff and, if you are not on the best tariff, help you to change to a cheaper one. On average, a household can save £287 by switching their heating and electricity supply to the cheapest tariff.
- make a referral into a money advice specialist from an organisation called IncomeMax. This service can help householders access money through unclaimed benefits, grants and other financial help.
Please call the BHBH team on 0800 107 0044 (freephone) to check if you are eligible and to begin the referral process.