Consumer protection

When installing any renewable energy technology or energy efficiency measure in your home your first point of call should be to research the measure and installers. You should check if there are any specific standards for the measure you are looking into, and if there is a scheme in which installers might be members of which hold them to high technical standards and offer a level of consumer protection.  

Consumer protection and finding an installer

Technical standards and guidance are set out in the building regulations, the Microgeneration Installation Standards for renewables, and PAS 2035/2030 for the retrofit of energy efficiency measures. There are also a number of competent persons schemes which enable installers to self-certify their work instead of getting building regulations approval. To join a scheme, installers have to demonstrate their competence to do the work. 

Some of these schemes also require that their members sign up to a consumer code such as Renewable Energy Consumer Code (RECC), the Home Insulation and Energy Systems Quality Assured Contractors Scheme (HIES), TrustMark or Electric Vehicle Consumer Code (EVCC). To be a member of YouGen an installer has to be a member of one of these schemes. 

Furthermore, it is recommended that when finding an installer to contract with you get at least three quotes to compare. 

Renewable energy technologies

When choosing an installer to install a renewable energy technology in your home you should use an MCS certified installer. In this way, you know your installer must adhere to high technical standards when installing your system. 

Furthermore, using a MCS certified installer is often a prerequisite of many Government and financial incentives like the Domestic RHI and the Smart Export Guarantee.  

By choosing an MCS certified installer you know that they will also be a member of a Chartered Trading Standards Institute approved consumer code like RECC or HIES. These consumer codes set out high standards of consumer protection and cover how an installer should sell, what should be in the contract, after sales and so on (consumer codes cover domestic installs only).  

Should something go wrong with your renewable energy technology installation and you not be able to resolve the issue with the installer, you may be able to turn to the installer’s MCS certification body or consumer code for help.  

RECC has further tips for consumer on how to choose the right installer and make sure you are as protected as much as possiblehere. You can search for an MCS certified installer here.   

Wood burning stoves

YouGen recommends that you use an installer registered with HETAS (one of the competent persons schemes) for the installation of a log or pellet burning stove. A HETAS registered installer will have the competencies required to ensure that your new stove installation is compliant with the building regulations and can advise you on the most suitable stove for your home. 

For a pellet stove with a back boiler you should use an MCS certified installer to install your system, as this is covered under renewable energy technologies. 


When installing cavity wall, solid wall, or loft insulation, you should choose an installer who is a member of the National Insulation Association (NIA), the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency (CIGA) or the British Board of Agrément (BBA) or another Competent Persons Scheme, which all promote high standards. 

All member installers of CIGA are assessed for competence and must follow the technical guidance for the material used and CIGA’s Best Practice Guidance. A CIGA Member installer should also give you a CIGA Guarantee which will cover defects in materials or workmanship and CIGA can help you resolve issues with installers. 

CIGA also administrate the Cavity Wall Insulation Self Certification scheme, which provides homeowners with the comfort of knowing that work carried out by registered contractors complies with building regulations. 

You can search for a NIA installer here, or a CIGA installer here


When installing glazing, you should make sure your installer is a member of a competent persons scheme for the replacement of windows and doors such as FENSAAssure and Certass

FENSA has some further tips for consumers on what else to look out for when choosing an installer here. 

Gas boilers

When installing a gas boiler your installer should be on the Gas Safe Register. Gas Safe is the official list of gas businesses who are registered to work safely and legally on boilers, cookers, fires and all other gas appliances. By law all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register, which can be found here. 

EV charge points

Any installer you use should be qualified in installing charge points and follow the IET Code of Practice for EV Charging Equipment Installation. 

EVCC sets high standards for installers of domestic charge points covering what paperwork the installer should provide the consumer, after sales care, certain consumer protections etc. Additionally, should something go wrong with your installer, EVCC can mediate between you to help resolve any issues. For more information and to find a member of EVCC visit its website. 

More information

If you have an issue with an installer that is not a member of any of the above, or you would like to report fraudulent activity, you should contact Trading Standards through Citizens’ Advice. More on this can be found here. 

More links:

HIES & YouGen Working Together to Combat Mis-selling